Residential Mini Split Installation in San Diego
The perfect solution for your comfort needs.
Not all San Diego homes are created equal. Some homes in San Diego’s older neighborhoods do not have the necessary space or ductwork for a traditional central air system. These homes need alternate systems for heating and cooling such as ductless mini-split systems.
What is a ductless Mini Split?
A ductless mini-split system is an air conditioner/heater system that is suitable for homes or apartments that have no ductwork nor is it feasible or possible to add it. As the name “Ductless” implies; this system does not need ductwork like a traditional heating/cooling system. The mini-split system is composed of two components; an outside unit (condenser) and one or more indoor units (evaporator). The outside unit connects to the inside unit(s) via a cooper line that carries the refrigerant. The inside unit provides each zone (room) with cool air during the summer and warm air during the winter.
Is a ductless Mini split a good option for my home?
If your home fits one or more of the criteria listed below; your home may be a good candidate for a ductless mini-split.
- Older homes built prior to 1990
- Your home does not have ductwork and (or) no space to add ductwork
- Insufficient home space to fit a traditional AC/Heating system
- Your goal is to reduce your energy consumption
- You want to transition to a more eco-friendly and advanced system
- Current home system is giving you problems or has given out and thinking of upgrading
Advantages of Ductless Minisplit System
Ductless Minisplit Systems are able to provide comfort to San Diego homes that never had traditional air conditioning. The main economic advantage is that you are able to only cool or warm the area where you spend the majority of your time. There is no need to cool down your entire home if you are primarily in your master bedroom. The list of advantages goes on and on.
Cost Of A Mini Split Installation In San Diego
Ductless AC installation costs vary based on:
- Number of indoor units.
Your cost will increase with the number of indoor units. While central AC uses just one indoor unit, ductless systems can have up to 8 indoor units connected to 1 outdoor unit. The number of indoor units you need depends on how many rooms/areas you want to be cooled.
- Energy efficiency (SEER rating).
Systems with higher energy efficiency will cost more. Ductless AC efficiency is measured by SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). The higher the SEER rating (ranging from 14 to 33+), the more efficient the ductless mini-split.
- Cooling capacity.
The “bigger” the system, the more it will cost. Ductless mini-splits are sized based on their cooling capacity, which is measured by the number of BTUs (British Thermal Units) it outputs. Residential ductless systems range from 6,000–54,000 BTUs. Your tech will be able to tell you which size system you need.
- Whether you’re replacing an existing unit.
You’ll pay more to install a ductless mini-split system for the first time than you will to replace an existing one. That’s because when you initially install a ductless system, the tech will have to determine the most efficient route for the refrigerant lines and cut into your walls/ceilings to install the indoor and outdoor units—increasing time and labor. If you’re replacing an existing ductless system, that time-intensive work is already done.
Signs You Need A Ductless Mini Split
You should think about installing a ductless mini-split system if:
- You want to cool a single room that doesn’t have ductwork.
- Your home cannot accommodate central AC due to limited space or no room for ductwork.
- You want a zoned cooling system without having to install dampers in your ductwork.
- Your current mini-split doesn’t’ keep you comfortable. An air conditioner that struggles to keep your home cool either means it is undersized or it is on its way out. Either way, you are better off with a new system.
- Your current mini-split requires expensive repairs. Paying for repair after repair can add up quickly. You are usually better off buying a new ductless mini-split system rather than sinking more money into a dying one.
Mini Split Replacement Greater San Diego Area
Looking to replace your current ductless mini split air conditioner?
If you are in the market for a new air conditioner, call Friar's Heating and Air today to discuss your options. We will come out to your home and calculate the size of your home to ensure the proper unit is installed. You do not want to install the wrong size system for your home. Our comfort advisors will provide you with a complimentary quote so that you make the most educated decision.
Call Our San Diego Office For Excellent Service.
Whether you are looking for an AC Replacement, AC Repair, Ductless Mini-Split, or AC Maintenance for your home, you will find Friar's Heating and Air has the team to exceed your needs. Contact our office today to have any questions answered or to schedule a ductless installation or replacement service.